Meet Founder Dr. David Lerner
David Lerner, D.D.S.
Dr. Lerner’s odyssey toward holistic dentistry began before he even thought of becoming a dentist. As a child, he had many cavities that resulted in repair with mercury silver fillings. It seemed that at every checkup, there were more mercury silver fillings to be placed. Then, as many kids do, Dr. Lerner broke a tooth in an accident and it had to be removed. The orthodontist decided to close the space by bringing his teeth all the way over to the front from the right to the left. His teeth ended up looking straight but his jaw was crooked.
Dr. Lerner later learned that his crooked jaw led to a variety of problems – including head and neck aches. After graduating from dental school, Dr. Lerner began TMJ treatment. When the treatment finally brought relief, Dr. Lerner began his journey toward understanding the mouth-body connection in earnest and soon learned that the bite can affect much more than your mouth.
Dr. Lerner gained further insight in the form of back pain due to shoveling too much snow without a proper shovel. The excruciating pain led to a quest for a cure – a quest that did not end until he met a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology and Sacral-Occipital Technique. This practitioner gave him relief with his very first treatment. These treatments helped Dr. Lerner so much that he decided to begin his training in Holistic Dentistry. He soon became a practitioner of Applied Kinesiology and Sacral-Occipital Techniques.
Although his back was feeling much better, Dr. Lerner still needed relief from lingering complications, which drove him to search for more answers. He found those answers in the office of a dentist trained in nutrition and acupuncture therapy. During a thorough analysis, this dentist discovered that Dr. David Lerner’s health issues and lack of energy were a result of childhood mercury silver fillings. Once the fillings were removed, Dr. Lerner had much more energy and he felt he was finally moving toward ideal health.
From that point on, Dr. Lerner worked with many health practitioners in many health fields to improve his own health, increase his understanding of the mouth-body connection, and expand his knowledge to better treat his patients.
This thirst for knowledge has stayed with Dr. Lerner over the years and has resulted in ever-expanding expertise in dentistry and the mouth-body connection. Dr. Lerner is now known as an authority on holistic dental health care. Patients come from all over Putnam County, Westchester County, and beyond (even from Hawaii!) to seek his holistic dental care.
In the video below, Dr. Lerner shares his life story and how he decided he wanted to heal others and transform people’s lives through a whole-body approach to health.
- 1978 — 1979: General Practice residency at Westchester County Medical Center
- 1981 — 1983: Associated with Dr. Harold Gelb, a world-renowned pioneer in the field of TMJ disorders
- 1982: Studied the relationships of the head, neck, and dentistry with Mariano Rocabado RPT
- 1982: Began training in Myofascial Release Therapy with John Barnes RPT
- 1982 — Present: The study of Biological Dentistry. Introduced to the work of Reinhold Voll, MD
- 1982 — Present: Training in Applied Kinesiology with George Goodheart DC, Herb Anderson DC, and others
- 1982: Studied with Dr. Helmut Schimmel, MD, DDS, who was the originator of the VEGA technique of Electro-Acupuncture
- 1986 — 1987: Began training in Craniosacral Therapy with John Upledger, DO. Studied the Dental Management of Mercury Toxicity with Hal Huggins, DDS, and Oral Acupuncture with Joachim Gleiditsch, DDS, MD
- 1988 — Present: Training in Neuromuscular Dentistry
- 1989 — 1992: Completed a 24-month course of study in Functional Orthopedics and Straight Wire Orthodontics
- 1993 — 1994: Graduate of the Advanced Continuing Education Program in the Diagnosis and Management of Orofacial Pain and Temporomandibular Disorders at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- 1995 — 1997: Completed 300-hour Physician course of training in Acupuncture/Chinese Medicine at the Tri-State Institute of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture
- 1996 — 2002: Advanced studies in the treatment of TMJ disorders through Cranial-Mandibular Whole Body Integration under the mentorship of Jim Jecman, DDS
- 2001: Trained in the advanced principles of Cosmetic Dentistry at New York University’s Rosenthal Center
- 2002 — 2003: Earned his Fellowship at the Institute of Natural Dentistry
- 2011 — 2012: Trained in Implant Surgery under Arun Garg, DDS, and faculty
- 2013 — 2014: Certified in Biological Dentistry with Dr. Thomas Rau, founder of the Paracelsus Clinic in Switzerland
- 2014: Certified in Laser dentistry including Laser treatment of periodontal disease
- 2014: Trained in advanced Implant surgical techniques with Dr. Samuel Lee of Harvard University Graduate Periodontics/Implantology
- 2017 — 2018: Core curriculum at Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies earning accreditation as an LVI Fellow
- 2019: Practical Advanced TMD I and II
- 2019: Advanced Biopak Interpretation and Evaluating CBCT’s
- 2019: Oral Myofunctional Disorders
- 2018 — 2020: Trained in Full Face Orthodontics, Controlled Arch Orthodontics, and Advanced Jaw Development with faculty of both the Las Vegas Institute and the Facial Beauty Institute
- 2019: Treating Ailing and Failing teeth – Advanced training in Full-Arch Removeable and Implant Retained Prosthesis with Dr. Michael Reece, DDS at LVI
- 2020: Advanced training in Biologic Dentistry and Ceramic Implants with Dr. Ulrich Volz of Swiss Dental Solutions
Meet Founder Dr. David Lerner – Schedule Your New Patient Exam Today
To experience Dr. Lerner’s exceptional dental care, schedule your New Patient Exam by calling 914-245-4041 or by clicking here. Your appointment includes a comprehensive review of your health history and concerns; an evaluation of your teeth, bite, gums, and airway passage; low-radiation digital x-rays; and a discussion of your options with a personalized treatment plan. We look forward to meeting you!
As the premier holistic dental practice in Yorktown Heights, N.Y. and the Hudson Valley Region., our dentist and team at The Center For Holistic Dentistry also provide 5-star dental care to patients from White Plains, Cortlandt Manor, Katonah, Mount Kisco, Briarcliff Manor & Westchester County, N.Y., and the surrounding areas.